ERP Myths and Realities
Who is telling the truth? Here a few sales pitches that we analyzed to enlighten your way when choosing an ERP system. Ask the right questions! Get informed!
MYTH and FACT
Certain systems are often promoted as complete, however, they are not always fully integrated like Fidelio. In that case, making sure you have everything you need could mean add-ons, software that was made by other developers. Inform yourself.
2. CUSTOMIZATION: You will be able to modify everything yourself; you’ll have access to the source code.
Certain software packages are more flexible than others (like Fidelio), but none of them allow you to modify their source code. This base never changes, no matter what vendors will tell you. However, ERP systems like Fidelio have some latitude. It is what we call the client code. For experts, it means that it will be possible to customize certain system functions yourself.
3. IMPLEMENTATION: We’ll take care of everything, you won’t have to do anything!
FACT In general, for each hour worked by the vendor, the client will also have to work an hour. Collaboration is important, it is in partnership with your vendor that you will create the best management tool for your company.
4. IMPLEMENTATION: Implementation will be quick. We’ll get it done in two weeks!
Think about all the steps required to finish the project. Do 80 hours sound realistic? The vendor will do its work but that will also involve you. You have to take the time to define and share your processes and send them your data (e.g. chart of accounts, client data, products, etc.) Resources in SMEs are rarely solely dedicated to software projects so employees helping with the integration of the ERP will have to do their other tasks as well. It will take time. Integrating an ERP is not a race; quality comes first.
It should take about three to six months to complete a simple, low complexity project. Realistically, it will likely take closer to six months. Remember that each project is unique, but one thing is for sure: implementation will take several weeks as multiple stages need to be completed and the transition must be slow so it can be successful.
5. DEVELOPMENT: We’ll do it for you, it’s only an hour of work and it’s simple to develop.
Does the chosen solution take into account all the features it affects? The development time to work on customizing part of an ERP can end up being longer as the changes tend to affect multiple system functions. Be wary when you see this in an estimate: “Number of hours: to be determined”
Before any development work can begin, certain steps need to be done: a needs analysis, creating the project specifications and a cost estimate. All of this will allow you to see the real impact on your budget against the return of investment you are hoping for.
6. TECHNOLOGY: We only use the latest technologies.
MYTH and FACT
Be wary, ask questions! Certain developers use old technologies that they disguise by adding Windows layers.
7. INNOVATION: Since local development teams are small, they aren’t as innovative.
Our team is smaller than well-known American or European teams, but that is one of our strengths, the team is flexible and can quickly tailor a response. There is no heavy administrative structure to burden us, it allows us to be agile. We work closely with our clients and take inspiration from them. The innovations we make are directly related to their business objectives. We know the realities of manufacturing, distribution as well as those of the other sectors we operate in.
Bonus: questions and answers about Fidelio
- What are the benefits of choosing an ERP developer, rather than a product representative or an integrator?
A developer is directly responsible for the success or failure of the integration. They will work hard to make sure everything is working. They are a partner that will support you throughout your company’s growth.
Integrators and representatives are intermediaries. They represent a world-class supplier, but they do not have control over the product. They can be limited in what they can change in the software to meet your specific needs.
- Why is Fidelio sometimes more expensive than their local competition?
There are no hidden fees with Fidelio! Watch out for the following things when comparing systems:
- Are all the systems being compared ERP or are they accounting suites with add-ons?
- Are competitors offering the same functionality as Fidelio?
- If so, are all the features included in the price? Be careful, certain ERPs use add-ons from third parties and their price is not always shown.
- Does the price include the fees from the other providers? For example, there could be an integrator contract and another contract for the ERP software provider. There is only one contract with Fidelio, we are both integrators and developers.
- How much will subsequent development, add new features or additional modules cost as your company grows?
- Certain multinationals offer lower prices than Fidelio, how is that possible?
It is an attractive offer, but the truth is, they often require a complex internal deployment that requires you to hire qualified personnel. In the end, is it cheaper? Do you want to manage an IT department? No, your goal is to improve the management of your company so you can focus on growing it.